South Mountain by Rick Reeve

South Mountain by Rick Reeve
South Mountain by Rick Reeve depicting the wounding of General Garland

Sunday, August 22, 2010

"Keep up good hearts, I am in God's hands."

These are a couple letters written home by 2nd Lieutenant Cadmus M. Amoss of the Cobb Legion from Georgia. The first is written just moments before Amoss’ unit crosses the Potomac into Maryland. He writes about his health, the march, and his belief that the war can be won. He would be wounded, shot through both lungs, during the ensuing campaign through Maryland. He would be hospitalized in Burkittsville, Md near the Crampton’s Gap Battlefield where he would have an Episcopal minister write one last letter home for him. The second letter was written by the Episcopal minister who had come to tend to wounded following the battles in western Maryland. 2nd Lieutenant Amoss would succumb to his wounds on September 27, 1862.


Leesburg VA
Sept. 4th 1862

My Dear Georgia
A long time has elapsed since I have had an opportunity of writing to you and even now I am forced to write in great haste. Our Division (General McLaws) arrived at this place last evening after a long and tedious march of nine days, I stood the march much better than I suppose and am in pretty good health with the exception of being perished out and a prospect ahead of being barefooted. Dont let this alarm you for half the army is in that delightful condition. As for getting anything to eat from the government that is out of the question for they haven’t got it. Our mel bought enough yesterday to last us several days and we are in high spirits. I suppose Georgia you would like to know what we are doing away up here and where we are going. Well the supposition is that we cros the Potomac in about two hours and go down on the side to Washington. Something important will trasprie very soon and it would not surprise me at all if we did go. I agree very much being so situated as not to receive or find letters to you. If we cros over on the other side there is not telling when I can write to you again. The last letter I received from you, you spoke of wanting some money. We have not been paid off since I came back and even if we had you letter came too late for me to send you any from Hanover. You will probibly need it before I have a chance of sending it so get as much as you want from the bank and I will replace it. Tell pa to . . . for you or he will let you have it ither. I have no idea when we will take up winter quarters if we remain here we will suffer very much from cold. If we succeed in the campaign that is now going on up here, we will have every reason to feel grateful and I think if the Yankees don’t give up the contest they are in a fair way to ruin themselves. If Washington falls the Yankees will be humbled and their attacks will become more feeble. I have only a few minutes in which to conclude. Good bye my dear wife for the present. I do hope it will not be long before I hear from you again. I will write to you the first chance I have. Give my love to all the family. Kiss our baby for me.

Your affectionate Husband
C M Amoss




Burkittsville, MD
Mr B.B. Amos Sept 26th 1862
Dear Sir
I came from Baltimore on last Saturday to look after the confederate wounded rough this place on the fight of the 14th. I am sorry to say that among the number I find your son Lieut C M Amos. He was shot through the lungs, the ball striking his spine and causing a paralysis of the lower extremities. From the character of the wound you will appreciate the danger to which he was now exposed. He has and will confine to receive my attention. You will be gratified I am sure to learn that in view of speech he is calm & resigned. I have been much with him & he seems to place his reliance upon our blessed Rescuer who I . . . will accept his reliance & comfort him with the presence of his holy spirit even until the end. I shall remain with him until the crisis is over & should he die will see that he is interred in such a way as to justify at some future time his removal. He sends his warmest love to you all & especially his dear wife and little boy. I give you his exact words when I say “ Keep up good hearts, I am in God’s hands.” May God bless and comfort you all
Yours most-truly
H Stringfellow
Minister of Protestant-Episcopal Church

No comments:

Post a Comment